The Presbyterian Church acquired the school and reopened it at a new site on Peachtree Street in Jackson. The original Boyd Street campus was destroyed by fire in 1910.
1911: Belhaven College acquired by Presbyterian Church
1911: South Mississippi College reopened by State Baptist Convention as Mississippi Woman’s College
Located south of Hattiesburg, the school is now William Carey University.
1911: James K. Vardaman elected U.S. senator
July 1911: Girls’ Tomato Clubs of Mississippi attend first tomato canning demonstration
Susie V. Powell, Mississippi’s first home demonstration agent, taught the girls canning techniques at Whitworth College in Brookhaven.