1833: Planter’s Bank established in Jackson
1833: Oakland College grants first college degree offered by Mississippi institution
James M. Smylie was the recipient.
Image: Belles Lettres Society Pin from Oakland College.
1833: Slave traders Isaac Franklin of Tennessee and John Armfield of Virginia rent property for a slave market at Forks of the Road, located just outside Natchez
More than 1,000 enslaved people were sent annually from Alexandria to their Natchez and New Orleans markets to meet the demand in Mississippi and surrounding states. Slave trading continued until 1863 when Natchez was occupied by Union troops.
Today, the historic intersection, with its familiar “Y” configuration, remains to mark the location of the once-flourishing slave markets at the Forks of the Road.
January 1833: Holmes County created
February 1833: Legislature authorizes leasing of sixteenth section land
The proceeds were to be devoted to public education.