A National Historic Landmark, Emerald Mound was built during the Mississippian Period between 1250 and 1600 AD by the ancestors of the Natchez Indians. It was a center of religious practices. It is the second largest ceremonial mound in the United States, measuring 770 by 435 feet at the base and 35 feet high. Two smaller mounds sit atop the platform base. The Natchez abandoned Emerald and made Grand Village the capital by the late 1600s.
Location: 10 miles northeast of Natchez. At milepost 10.3 on the Natchez Trace Parkway, take exit at Route 533 intersection and follow signs to mound, about 1 mile. Open daily, free admission.