"Downtown Jackson At Night, Time Exposure - Shot From Balcony of Old Capitol Building." 195-. Call Number: PI/COL/1981.0066, item 72 (MDAH Collection)

"Downtown Jackson At Night, Time Exposure - Shot From Balcony of Old Capitol Building." 195-. Call Number: PI/COL/1981.0066, item 72 (MDAH Collection)

Hugh Warren Shankle (1921- ) was a photo technician with WLBT-TV in Jackson, Mississippi, during the late 1950s and ’60s. He was also the official photographer for the Mississippi Art Association and timpanist in the Jackson Symphony Orchestra. This collection consists of two hundred sixty eight images of local personalities, beauty contestants, inauguration ceremonies, and historical houses and buildings in Jackson and other locations in Mississippi, as well as Ole Miss football, including the January 2, 1962, Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas. Click here to view the collection.

Photographs of Gulf Coast landmarks such as the Biloxi Lighthouse and Beauvoir are in the collection, as well as Windsor Ruins and the aftermath of the 1966 Candlestick Park, Jackson, tornado.

Windsor Ruins Today

On February 22, 2011, in Museums & Historic Sites, by Amanda
0

Windsor Ruins 2004

These images show Windsor as it looks today. The site, which is administered by MDAH, is open to the public.

Windsor Ruins 2004

Directions to Windsor Ruins:

From U.S. Hwy 61 north of Lorman, take the Alcorn State University exit and proceed west on Hwy 552.  Go past the Alcorn entrance and continue west and then north on 552.  There are Windsor Ruins signs along the way.  The entrance to Windsor Ruins is on the right about 3 miles past the Alcorn entrance.  The site is always open.

Tagged with:
 
Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 1 (MDAH Collection)

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 1 (MDAH Collection)

The Ruins of Windsor, near Port Gibson (Claiborne County) are what remain of an extravagant plantation home completed by S.C. Daniel in 1861. The house was five stories tall, with an observatory at the top, and the railings which enclosed the upper gallery still wrap around the Corinthian columns. Windsor burned today in 1890 and unfortunately there are no surviving photographs of the house. These photographs were created in 1910.

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 2 (MDAH Collection)

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 2 (MDAH Collection)

Today, MDAH administers Windsor Ruins and the site is open to the public. 

Directions to Windsor Ruins:

From U.S. Hwy 61 north of Lorman, take the Alcorn State University exit and proceed west on Hwy 552.  Go past the Alcorn entrance and continue west and then north on 552.  There are Windsor Ruins signs along the way.  The entrance to Windsor Ruins is on the right about 3 miles past the Alcorn entrance.  The site is always open. 

For more information, please contact the Historic Properties Division at 601-442-6502 or by email.

Source: Federal Writers’ Project of the Works Progress Administration, Mississippi: A Guide to the Magnolia State, The American Guide Series (New York: The Viking Press, 1938), 329.

Tagged with: