Maps: Columbus and Jackson

On March 20, 2013, in Digital Archives, Maps, by Amanda
0
Columbus. Call Number: MA/2003.0079(c) MDAH

Columbus. Call Number: MA/2003.0079(c) MDAH

Explore these new additions to our digitized holdings:

Columbus. Call Number: MA/2003.0079 (c) MDAH. Link to the catalog.

Jackson, Mississippi, by blocks, 1960. Call Number: MA/2003.0127 (c) MDAH. Link to the catalog.

Tagged with:
 

Recently Digitized Maps

On November 21, 2012, in Digital Archives, Maps, by Amanda
0
Map of DeSoto County, 1904. Call Number: MA/2003.0034(c) MDAH Collection

Map of DeSoto County, 1904. Call Number: MA/2003.0034(c) MDAH Collection

These maps were recently digitized and made available online through the MDAH catalog. Click the map title to view the map or click “Link to catalog” to view its catalog record.

Department of Education Calhoun County, May 19, 1928. Call Number: MA/2003.0003(c) MDAH. Link to catalog record.

Map of Desoto County, Mississippi, 1904. Call Number: MA/2003.0034(c) MDAH. Link to catalog record.

Hinds County, Mississippi, 1915. Call Number: MA/2003.0058(c) MDAH. Link to catalog.

Map of Jackson, Mississippi, 1929? Call Number: MA/2003.0111(b) MDAH. Link to catalog

Columbus Separate School District, 1953. Call Number: MA/2003.0283(d) MDAH. Link to catalog.

Gulfport Harbor, Miss. survey to determine the cost and advisability of further improvement, 1926. Call Number: MA/2002.0247(b) MDAH. Link to catalog.

The Mobile and Ohio River Railroad grant in the states of Mississippi and Alabama, c.1893. Call Number: MA/2002.0261(c) MDAH. Link to catalog.

 

Tagged with:
 

Witbeck Collection Now Online

On August 15, 2012, in Digital Archives, Photographs, by Amanda
0
Senator Pat Harrison's Funeral at Gulfport, Miss., June 25, 1941. PI/COL/1982.0016, item 46 (MDAH)

Senator Pat Harrison's Funeral at Gulfport, Miss., June 25, 1941. PI/COL/1982.0016, item 46 (MDAH)

The Witbeck, C. W., Photograph Collection depicts people and places in towns and cities throughout Mississippi dating from 1911 through 1955. The 333 black-and-white photographs focus on Brookhaven, Gulfport, Jackson and Vicksburg, Mississippi. The collection also contains views of Monticello, Meadville and Crystal Springs, Mississippi. The earliest print, from 1911, is of McGrath’s Baseball Team in Brookhaven, Mississippi.

The collection includes 18 photographs of Governor Hugh White’s inauguration (January 22, 1952), 62 photographs of the United States Naval Training School in Gulfport (July 17, 1950), 35 photographs of Senator Pat Harrison’s funeral (June 25, 1941), 19 photographs of the Mississippi Highway Patrol General Assembly (August 3, 1950), 18 photographs of the Masonic Building fire in Brookhaven (March 25-26, 1951), 13 photographs of a Wesson Lions Club event (March 26, 1951), 11 photographs of the Whitworth College Coronation Pageant (May 29, 1950), and 5 photographs of African-American Little Leaguers in Brookhaven (June 15, 1955).

Pictured above is the 1941 funeral of Byron Patton “Pat” Harrison who represented Mississippi in the United States Congress for many years. He served in the House of Representatives from 1911-1919 and the Senate from 1919-1941. See Westley F. Busbee, Jr., Mississippi: A History (Wheeling, IL: Harlan Davidson, Inc., 2005), 209.

Tagged with:
 
Gov. White, Mayor Thompson and military officers salute from convertible automobiles parked in front of The Edwards Hotel. Call Number: PI/COL/1984.0019, item 51 (MDAH)

Gov. White, Mayor Thompson and military officers salute from convertible automobiles parked in front of The Edwards Hotel. Call Number: PI/COL/1984.0019, item 51 (MDAH)

The Lars Johnson Collection (PI/COL/1984.0019) is now available online. It depicts scenes of Jackson during the mid-twentieth century, including politicians, public works projects, city scenes, and more. To view the collection, please visit the MDAH online catalog and search for “PI/COL/1984.0019″

Picture made on South West Street, looking south, July 17, 1950. Call Number: PI/COL/1984.0019 (MDAH)

Picture made on South West Street, looking south, July 17, 1950. Call Number: PI/COL/1984.0019, item 6 (MDAH)

Tagged with: