Hargrove Collection Now Online

On November 29, 2011, in Digital Archives, Photographs, by Amanda
0
Six unidentified African American Jackson Police Department officers, 196-. Call Number: PI/2010.0005, item 83 (MDAH Collection)

Six unidentified African American Jackson Police Department officers, 196-. Call Number: PI/2010.0005, item 83 (MDAH Collection)

The Ralph Hargrove Photograph Collection (PI/2010.0005) consists of one-hundred-thirty-six black-and-white photographs of Jackson, Mississippi, from 1927 until 1984. Most of the images were taken during Hargrove’s forty-year career with the Jackson Police Department. Subjects include city government buildings, police department activities, and state and national politicians. The collection features images of the rifle found at the crime scene after the murder of Mississippi civil rights leader Medgar Evers, Jackson’s first African American policemen, U.S. Senator John C. Stennis, Mississippi lieutenant governor Charles Sullivan, Alabama governor George Wallace, and a Jackson city vehicle known as “Thompson’s Tank.”

Anyone with information on the identity of the JPD officers pictured above is encouraged to contact the MDAH Image and Sound section at 601-576-6850.

Page from the Crowe (Milburn J.) Photograph Album. Call Number: PI/2005.0015, No. 34 (MDAH Collection)

Page from the Crowe (Milburn J.) Photograph Album. Call Number: PI/2005.0015, No. 34 (MDAH Collection)

The Milburn J. Crowe Photograph Album is an interesting treasure from the MDAH collection. It documents the people of the Davis Bend and Mound Bayou African American communities. The Davis Bend community was founded by freed slaves who lived there from 1867 to 1886, when several factors forced the closure of the town. Mound Bayou was then formed as a self-governing African American town in 1887 by Isaiah Montgomery and Benjamin Green, who had been members of the Davis Bend colony. Read more about them in the Collection Description for the photograph album.

Digitized Photographs are Online

On August 18, 2011, in Digital Archives, Photographs, by Amanda
0
"Freedom Day, 1890, Claiborne County photograph." Call Number: PI/2002.0018 (MDAH Collection)

"Freedom Day, 1890, Claiborne County photograph." Call Number: PI/2002.0018 (MDAH Collection)

“Freedom Day, 1890, Claiborne County photograph.”
Call Number: PI/2002.0018 (MDAH Collection). Or view the catalog record (image is pictured above).

“Miller’s Commissary at Cyber, Miss.”
Call Number: PI/1990.0010 (MDAH Collection). Or view the catalog record.

“MS Legislature at I. C. & C., January, 1902 photograph.”
Call Number: PI/1994.0018 (MDAH Collection). Or view the catalog record.

Osborn Jones Turner group photograph.
Call Number: Osborn Jones Turner group photograph (MDAH Collection). Or view the catalog record.

Baling Press Patent Model

On August 4, 2011, in Artifacts, by Amanda
0
1980.18.1

Accession Number: 1980.18.1 (Museum of Mississippi History Collection)

Charles T. Christmas, a former slave from Riverton, Bolivar County, Mississippi, made this baling press patent model.  The model was patented on May 25, 1880.  Christmas designed the press to make cotton bales more compact and, thus, cut shipping costs.  This is one of several patent models in the collection of the Museum Division.

Artifacts from the Museum Division collection that are not on exhibit are available for viewing by appointment. Please contact Nan Prince, Asst. Director of Collections, by email to schedule an appointment.

Dr. A. H. McCoy

On June 15, 2011, in Photographs, Portraits, by Amanda
0
Dr. A. H. McCoy. Call Number: PI/1986.0029, No. 1 (MDAH Collection)

Dr. A. H. McCoy. Call Number: PI/1986.0029, No. 1 (MDAH Collection)

Many Jacksonians associate the name of Dr. A. H. McCoy (1903-1970) with the federal building located downtown. It was indeed named for Dr. McCoy in 1984, making the structure the first federal building in the country to be named for an African American. His remarkable life and accomplishments prompted a local grassroots movement to name the building after him.

McCoy was born in Jackson where his parents operated a large dairy farm near present day County Line road. He attended Tougaloo College and Meharry Medical College in Nashville. In 1930, McCoy returned to Jackson and started a dentistry practice. It was located near the corner of Farish and Capitol Street, on part of the present day site of the federal building. In addition to his successful dentistry practice, McCoy co-founded the Security Life Insurance Company in 1938, two movie theaters, and helped develop the Farish Street business district. McCoy was also active in the Mississippi chapter of the NAACP.

Sources:

“McCoy, A. H.,” Subject File, MDAH.

“Jackson Federal Building, Dr. A. H. McCoy Building,” Subject File, MDAH.