Postcards

Sesquicentennial website screen shot

Screen shot of the new website (click the image to go to the site).

Check out the new website from the Mississippi Sesquicentennial of the American Civil War Commission! It was recently unveiled and will serve as a clearing house for the various statewide events commemorating the 150 anniversary of the Civil War. Other fun stuff on the website: a timeline of Civil War action, photos, videos, reading lists, visitor information, related collections at various institutions (including MDAH) and more!

The website was developed by the Mississippi State University Libraries Web Services Department.

Tagged with:
 
PI/1992.0001

Current Lee County Courthouse. Call Number: PI/1992.0001 (MDAH Collection)

Lee County was established in 1866 and named for Confederate general Robert E. Lee (1807-1870). The current courthouse in Tupelo was built in 1905 at a cost of $60,000. It was preceded by an initial two-story frame building (1867) and two other brick courthouses, built in 1871 and 1875, both of which burned. These images of the courthouse are from the Cooper Postcard Collection.

Knowing when courthouse fires occured isn’t just lagniappe–it can explain gaps in county records, like the marriage books that are useful for genealogy research. Though in Lee County, the marriage records somehow survived the fires. A catalog search reveals that they go back to 1867, or one year after the county was established. Check out the County Records section of the online catalog’s Master List of Microfilm to see what records exist for the county where your family lived.

 PI/1992.0001

Current Lee County Courthouse. Call Number: PI/1992.0001 (MDAH Collection)

Source: Bill Gurney, Mississippi Courthouses: Then and Now (Ripley, Mississippi: Old Timer Press, 1987), 87-88.

Tagged with:
 

Bats, Brooms & Black Cats

On October 29, 2010, in Artifacts, Photographs, Postcards, by Amanda
4
Rust University baseball team PI/1992.0001

Call Number: PI/1992.0001 (MDAH Collection)

Two things seems to be in the air right now: baseball and Halloween. Here’s a roundup of what’s been going on around the archives and history blogosphere on these two subjects:

Willie Mitchell's baseball glove MMH Collection 1974.60.1

Accession Number: 1974.60.1 (Museum of Mississippi History Collection)*

Baseball

 

Halloween

The Cooper Postcard Collection yielded the image of the Rust baseball team above and the Rose Hill Cemetery below…

Cooper Collection: Rose Hill Cemetery, Brookhaven PI/1992.0001

Call Number: PI/1992.0001 (MDAH Collection)

Here at the archives, we have many more baseball photographs, suject files, and books. There are also books on ghost stories and Mississippi folklore, and of course, cemetery records. Search the catalog to find holdings.

*The baseball glove from the Museum of Mississippi History collection pictured above belonged to William (Willie) Mitchell who was the first Mississippian to attain major league status. Mitchell was born on December 1, 1888, in Pleasant Grove, Mississippi. He attended Mississippi A & M College (now Mississippi State University) from 1906-1909 where he received All Southern honors as a baseball pitcher. Mitchell later played in the major leagues for the Cleveland Indians and the Detroit Tigers. He was inducted into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in 1966. A collection of correspondence and newspaper clippings concerning his induction into the Hall of Fame can be found in the Archives. For more information or to see the glove, contact Cindy Gardner or Nan Prince by email or by phone at 601-576-6850.

Battle of Corinth began October 3 in 1862

On October 4, 2010, in Postcards, by Amanda
0

Call Number: PI/1992.0001 (MDAH Collection)

During the Civil War, the town of Corinth (Alcorn County) occupied a strategic position at the junction of two railroad lines, and in the fall of 1862, Union forces under General William Rosecrans were constructing earthworks to defend Corinth against a Confederate attack. General Earl Van Dorn commanded the Confederate forces that marched on Corinth in late September. Their bravery was not enough to match Rosecrans’ reinforcements, and the attack failed. The Battle of Corinth lasted two days and claimed over 900 lives and many more wounded.

Call Number: PI/1992.0001 (MDAH Collection)

This monument commemorates Colonel William Rogers, who led the Confederate charge on the Union Battery Robinett and was killed in action.

These images are from the Cooper Postcard Collection, which is comprised of approximately 4,600 postcards depicting scenes from around the state from 1892 through the 1940s. It focuses on the theme of Mississippiana, featuring scenes of small towns, mineral springs, agricultural and forestry activities, and railroads. It can be viewed in its entirety in the Digital Archives, along with other collections that have been scanned and made available online.

Source: Michael B. Ballard, Civil War Mississippi: A Guide (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2000), 11-34.


Tagged with:
 

Early Days of Football

On September 2, 2010, in Photographs, Postcards, by Amanda
0

Call Number: PI/1992.0001 (MDAH Collection)

It’s time for football season in Mississippi! Fall is (hopefully) just around the corner and there’s nothing quite like a Saturday spent watching ball games to herald the season. Here’s a look back at the early days of football in the Magnolia State. Above is an undated image of an early game in Mississippi.

Call Number: PI/1992.0001, Item 3673 (MDAH Collection)

The football team at Mississippi State University, then Mississippi A & M, is pictured above in Starkville (Oktibbeha County) in 1906.

Call Number: PI/1992.0001, Item 4112 (MDAH Collection)

The schedule for the 1914 football season at the University of Mississippi in Oxford (Lafayette County) is pictured at left.

These images are from the Cooper Postcard Collection, which may be browsed online in the Digital Archives.

Tagged with: