Museums & Historic Sites

Windsor Ruins Today

On February 22, 2011, in Museums & Historic Sites, by Amanda
0

Windsor Ruins 2004

These images show Windsor as it looks today. The site, which is administered by MDAH, is open to the public.

Windsor Ruins 2004

Directions to Windsor Ruins:

From U.S. Hwy 61 north of Lorman, take the Alcorn State University exit and proceed west on Hwy 552.  Go past the Alcorn entrance and continue west and then north on 552.  There are Windsor Ruins signs along the way.  The entrance to Windsor Ruins is on the right about 3 miles past the Alcorn entrance.  The site is always open.

Tagged with:
 
Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 1 (MDAH Collection)

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 1 (MDAH Collection)

The Ruins of Windsor, near Port Gibson (Claiborne County) are what remain of an extravagant plantation home completed by S.C. Daniel in 1861. The house was five stories tall, with an observatory at the top, and the railings which enclosed the upper gallery still wrap around the Corinthian columns. Windsor burned today in 1890 and unfortunately there are no surviving photographs of the house. These photographs were created in 1910.

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 2 (MDAH Collection)

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 2 (MDAH Collection)

Today, MDAH administers Windsor Ruins and the site is open to the public. 

Directions to Windsor Ruins:

From U.S. Hwy 61 north of Lorman, take the Alcorn State University exit and proceed west on Hwy 552.  Go past the Alcorn entrance and continue west and then north on 552.  There are Windsor Ruins signs along the way.  The entrance to Windsor Ruins is on the right about 3 miles past the Alcorn entrance.  The site is always open. 

For more information, please contact the Historic Properties Division at 601-442-6502 or by email.

Source: Federal Writers’ Project of the Works Progress Administration, Mississippi: A Guide to the Magnolia State, The American Guide Series (New York: The Viking Press, 1938), 329.

Tagged with:
 

This program is Friday, January 7, 2011 from 10 a.m.-noon in the House of Representatives Chamber at the Old Capitol Museum. It will feature the following speakers:

  • Reenactment of the speech of John Wood, delegate to the Secession Convention from Kosciusko, by Ray McFarland
  • “Into the Abyss: Secession and Confederate Revolution” by George Rable
  • “Observations on the Mississippi Secession Convention” by Timothy Smith

January 7 is the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Secession Convention, which convened in Jackson (at the Old Capitol, of course) to discuss Mississippi’s exit from the Union in 1861. The Ordinance of Secession document, signed by members of the convention, will be on display in the Chancery Court at the Old Capitol for the program and for the rest of 2011.

For more information, please call 601-576-6920.

Tagged with:
 
Sesquicentennial website screen shot

Screen shot of the new website (click the image to go to the site).

Check out the new website from the Mississippi Sesquicentennial of the American Civil War Commission! It was recently unveiled and will serve as a clearing house for the various statewide events commemorating the 150 anniversary of the Civil War. Other fun stuff on the website: a timeline of Civil War action, photos, videos, reading lists, visitor information, related collections at various institutions (including MDAH) and more!

The website was developed by the Mississippi State University Libraries Web Services Department.

Tagged with:
 

Accession Number: 2001.31.1 (Museum of Mississippi History Collection)

This rare twenty star flag from the collection of the Museum of Mississippi History was made in 1818. The twenty star pattern United States flag was created after Mississippi’s entry into the Union as the twentieth state today in 1817. This pattern flag was only made for one year because a star was added to the flag when Illinois became a state in 1818.

Artifacts in the collection of the Museum of Mississippi History are available for viewing by appointment only. Please contact Cindy Gardner, Director of Collections or Nan Prince, Asst. Director of Collections by email to schedule an appointment.

Don’t forget about the second annual Statehood Day Celebration, featuring former governor William F. Winter, at the Old Capitol Museum today! Program starts at noon, with reception to follow. See a large photo version of the twenty star flag at the program! Call 601-576-6920 for more information.