A “List of Negroes employed on fortifications near Columbus, Miss., 1863″ (part of Series 608: Miscellaneous Civil War Documents) was recently digitized. It is a twelve-page list of slaves impressed to work on the fortifications near Columbus, Mississippi. The list is from Headquarters, 4th Brigade, Miss. State Troops. It gives the owner’s name of each slave and the slave’s name, age, complexion, and height. Implements, if any, brought by each slave are also listed.
Another government records collection has been digitized. Series 221: List of Mississippi Volunteers consists of two broadsides listing officers and enlisted men of the 1st and 2nd Mississippi Volunteer Infantry Regiments, Spanish-American War. The 1st Regiment was mustered at Jackson on May 26, 1898, and the 2nd Regiment was mustered at Jackson on June 9, 1898. Arrangement of names on each broadside is by company.
Additionally, the statement of service records for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Mississippi Volunteer Regiments are held at MDAH, in Series 146, Spanish-American War Service Record Extracts.
Series 1695: Parchman Photograph Booklet was recently digitized. The photographs of Parchman State Penitentiary were taken during the administration of Superintendent C. E. Breazeale and bound in a loose-leaf booklet. The booklet was prepared under the supervision of Sgt. P. O. Miller, Identification Officer, to document improvements made on the buildings and grounds of the penitentiary’s agricultural facilities. Photographs show livestock, penitentiary officials, and inmates.
Chloe Edwards, of the Government Records Section, brings us this post in an ongoing series about Mississippi Advertising Commission posters. Many thanks to Ms. Edwards for sharing these fun artifacts.
This menu and roster from Series 353 was printed for the 1937 Christmas dinner at a Civilian Conservation Corps camp in Mississippi. Company 5415 did forestry work at this camp, located about fourteen miles south of New Augusta.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was one of several programs established by the United States government to alleviate joblessness caused by the Great Depression. Originally established in 1933 as the Emergency Conservation Work Program, it did not gain its title of Civilian Conservation Corps until 1937. The CCC was a quasi-military organization that employed jobless young men to perform conservation work such as planting trees, fighting wildfires, controlling erosion, erecting dams, and other such activities. The men lived in camps, and a majority of their pay was sent directly to their families each month for their support, while the CCC provided the men with food, clothing and medical care, as well as limited job training and educational opportunities. Roughly 3,000,000 Americans enrolled in the CCC program during its nine years of existence. More than 40,000 of them were Mississippians.