Artifacts

1904 State Fair Artifact

On October 2, 2013, in Artifacts, by Amanda
0

Nan Prince, assistant director of collections, brings us this post about interesting artifacts in the Museum Division collection.

Glass vase from 1904 state fair. Accession number: 1977.15.2 (Museum Division collection)

Glass vase from 1904 state fair. Accession number: 1977.15.2 (Museum Division collection)

Hugh Geiger purchased this small glass pitcher when he was ten years old and visited the state fair in 1904. At that time, the state fair was held inside the recently abandoned Old Capitol building. You can view this pitcher and several other state fair–related items in the History Happened Here exhibit at the Old Capitol Museum.

Tagged with:
 

Inspired by the State Fair

On September 27, 2013, in Artifacts, by Amanda
0

Nan Prince, assistant director of collections, brings us this post about artifacts in the Museum Division collection.

"State Fair," Mildred Wolfe, 1981. Accession number: 1983.32.1 (Museum Division Collection)

State Fair by Mildred Wolfe, 1981. Accession number: 1983.32.1 (Museum Division Collection)

The Mississippi State Fair is just around the corner. Here is an item from the Museum Division collection to help get you in the State Fair mood. Jackson artist Mildred Wolfe (1912–2009) painted this scene of the state fair in 1981.

Tagged with:
 

Artifacts: First African American Masons in State

On September 4, 2013, in Artifacts, by Amanda
1

Nan Prince, assistant director of collections, brings us this post in her ongoing series about neat artifacts in the Museum Division collection.

Masonic banner, Stringer Lodge, Vicksburg. Accession number: 1987.11.1 (Museum Division collection)

Masonic banner, Stringer Lodge, Vicksburg. Accession number: 1987.11.1 (Museum Division collection)

This Masonic banner and apron are from the Stringer Lodge in Vicksburg. Organized in 1867 by Thomas W. Stringer, the lodge was the first African American Masonic lodge in Mississippi. Thomas Stringer was born in Maryland in 1815 and moved to Mississippi in 1865 to serve as a minister in the African Methodist Church. Seeing Masonry as a way to engage the newly freed men in select groups that would provide them with a greater sense of self-worth and fellowship, Stringer formed the first lodge in Vicksburg and soon other towns in Mississippi formed lodges, as well.

Masonic apron, Stringer Lodge, Vicksburg. Accession number: 1987.13.16 (Museum Division collection)

Masonic apron, Stringer Lodge, Vicksburg. Accession number: 1987.13.16 (Museum Division collection)

Source: Alferdteen Harrison, A History of the Most Worshipful Stringer Grand Lodge: Our Heritage Is Our Challenge (1977).

Tagged with:
 

Artifacts: Circuit Rider’s Communion Set

On July 31, 2013, in Artifacts, by Amanda
0

Nan Prince, assistant director of collections, brings us this post in her ongoing series about neat artifacts in the Museum Division collection.

William Winans' communion set. Accession number: 1960.215.1a, 2a, and 3 (Museum Division collection)

William Winans’ communion set. Accession number: 1960.215.1a, 2a, and 3 (Museum Division collection)

This communion set reputedly belonged to William Winans, an early circuit rider and one of the pioneers of Methodism in Mississippi. Born on  November 3, 1788, in Chestnut Ridge, Pennsylvania, Winans came to Mississippi in 1810 and served as both a pastor on local circuits and the presiding elder in the Mississippi Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was instrumental in the formation of the Methodist Episcopal Church–South. Winans died on August 31, 1857, and was buried in his family plot near Centerville in Wilkinson County.

The pewter communion set was made by Reed and Barton in Taunton, Massachusetts, ca. 1840–1850.

Source:  http://www.millsaps.edu/library/library_cain_winans.php

 

Artifacts: Can Labels

On July 30, 2013, in Artifacts, by Amanda
0
Can label. Accession number: 1985.70.11 (2) Museum Division collection

Can label. Accession number: 1985.70.11 (2) Museum Division collection

Here are the final two can labels featuring Mississippi farmers and produce companies from the Museum Division collection.

Can label. Accession number: 1985.70.14 (Museum Division collection)

Can label. Accession number: 1985.70.14 (Museum Division collection)