MDAH Awards Grants at Quarterly Meeting
At its regular quarterly meeting on May 16, the Board of Trustees of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History awarded more than $425,000 in grants and approved seven new Mississippi Landmarks and eleven new State Historical Markers.
A Civil Rights Historical Sites grant was awarded to the City of Meridian for renovation of the Holbrook Benevolent Association Building. The circa-1924 two-story brick structure was the second location of the Council of Federated Organizations offices in Meridian. The award of $208,000 will be used to replace the roof, install a roof vent and drainage system, repair doors and windows, and repoint masonry.
Mississippi Landmark Grants were awarded to the Mantee Depot in Webster County and Cotesworth Culture and Heritage Center in Carroll County. A grant of $130,150 will go toward the relocation of the Mantee Depot to its original site on First Street. After it is stabilized and renovated, it will be used by the town as a welcome center/community center. Cotesworth Culture and Heritage Center in Carroll County will receive $15,320 for exterior repair and painting. Grants from the program may be used to pay the cost of acquisition, preservation, restoration, and operation of any Mississippi Landmark property.
Three universities were awarded Mississippi Archaeology Research Grants for projects located in the state. The University of Mississippi received $9,568.31 for geophysical research and excavation support in endangered sections of the Feltus Mounds in Jefferson County. $10,000 was awarded to Tulane University for the Lower Mississippi Valley Archaeological Project in the Delta, and $9,997 was awarded to the University of Alabama for work at the Coles Creek and Plaquemine Settlement in Adams County. The Mississippi Archaeology Research Grant Program provides funding for archaeological research projects located in Mississippi, with priority given to research on endangered sites or collections
Mississippi Landmark designation was approved for the Jenkins Administration and Harris Patrick Academic Buildings on the campus of Hinds Community College; Gulfport Army Air Field Hangar, Harrison County; Cassity Hall on the campus of Delta State University; Grenada Army Air Field Hangar, Grenada County; Poplar Hill School, Jefferson County; Summit Standpipe, Pike County; and Sturgis Presbyterian Church, Oktibbeha County.
State Historical Markers were approved for Temple B’nai Sholom, Brookhaven; Old Brookhaven, Brookhaven; Rose Hill Cemetery, Brookhaven; Grierson’s Raid 1863, Pike County; J.W. Cutrer Mansion, Coahoma County; Magnolia, Pike County; Masonite Corporation, Jones County; Needmore Community, Oktibbeha County; Pascagoula Street Railroad and Power Company, Jackson County; the Templeton Store at Dentville, Copiah County; and Union Church, Lee County.
Members of the board of trustees are Kane Ditto, president; Rosemary Taylor Williams, vice-president; Reuben V. Anderson, Jackson; Nancy Carpenter, Columbus; E. Jackson Garner, Jackson; Valencia Hall, Natchez; Web Heidelberg, Hattiesburg; Hilda Cope Povall, Cleveland; and Roland Weeks, Biloxi.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History is the second-oldest state department of archives and history in the United States. The department collects, preserves, and provides access to the archival resources of the state, administers museums and historic sites, and oversees statewide programs for historic preservation, state and local government records management, and publications. The department is headquartered in the state-of-the-art William F. Winter Archives and History Building, located on the corner of North and Amite Streets in downtown Jackson. For more information call 601-576-6850 or see the MDAH Web site, www.mdah.state.ms.us.
|Site Map||Contact Us|