In honor of the upcoming Memorial Day holiday, we will be highlighting collections related to the military history of Mississippi and veterans who served the state beginning with the territorial militia in 1797 through World War II (the most recent engagement for which we have collections). Special thanks to Jim Pitts, of the MDAH Government Records section, for compiling the military records and their descriptions and to Nan Prince, Museum Division, for compiling the artifacts.
This Confederate battle flag belonged to the 18th Mississippi Infantry Regiment and was captured by the 77th New York on May 3, 1863, during the Chancellorsville Campaign. The 18th had previously earned distinction in the Battle of Fredericksburg and went on to fight in many other engagements during the Civil War.
Artifacts in the collection of the Museum of Mississippi History are available for viewing by appointment only. Please contact Cindy Gardner, Director of Collections or Nan Prince, Asst. Director of Collections by email to schedule an appointment.
One of the most requested Civil War records in the MDAH collection are the veterans’ service records. We have those of Confederate and Union soldiers and also African Americans who served in the United States Colored Troops. These records are available to view on microfilm at MDAH.
The image above shows the compiled service record card of a private in the 36th Mississippi Infantry Regiment who was at the Battles of Iuka and Corinth and the Siege of Vicksburg.
The above image shows the enlistment record of an Arkansas farmer who joined this white Union battalion. The 1st Mississippi Mounted Rifles served in small actions in Mississippi from its organization in Memphis in March 1864 until its mustering out in June 1865.
The image above shows the compiled statement of service cards for a soldier with the 3rd United States Colored Cavalry, originally raised in October 1863 as the 1st Mississippi Cavalry (African Descent). The regiment participated in small actions in Mississippi until it was mustered out of service in January 1866.