Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 1 (MDAH Collection)

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 1 (MDAH Collection)

The Ruins of Windsor, near Port Gibson (Claiborne County) are what remain of an extravagant plantation home completed by S.C. Daniel in 1861. The house was five stories tall, with an observatory at the top, and the railings which enclosed the upper gallery still wrap around the Corinthian columns. Windsor burned today in 1890 and unfortunately there are no surviving photographs of the house. These photographs were created in 1910.

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 2 (MDAH Collection)

Call Number: PI/1987.0020, Item 2 (MDAH Collection)

Today, MDAH administers Windsor Ruins and the site is open to the public. 

Directions to Windsor Ruins:

From U.S. Hwy 61 north of Lorman, take the Alcorn State University exit and proceed west on Hwy 552.  Go past the Alcorn entrance and continue west and then north on 552.  There are Windsor Ruins signs along the way.  The entrance to Windsor Ruins is on the right about 3 miles past the Alcorn entrance.  The site is always open. 

For more information, please contact the Historic Properties Division at 601-442-6502 or by email.

Source: Federal Writers’ Project of the Works Progress Administration, Mississippi: A Guide to the Magnolia State, The American Guide Series (New York: The Viking Press, 1938), 329.