During the Civil War, the town of Corinth (Alcorn County) occupied a strategic position at the junction of two railroad lines, and in the fall of 1862, Union forces under General William Rosecrans were constructing earthworks to defend Corinth against a Confederate attack. General Earl Van Dorn commanded the Confederate forces that marched on Corinth in late September. Their bravery was not enough to match Rosecrans’ reinforcements, and the attack failed. The Battle of Corinth lasted two days and claimed over 900 lives and many more wounded.
This monument commemorates Colonel William Rogers, who led the Confederate charge on the Union Battery Robinett and was killed in action.
These images are from the Cooper Postcard Collection, which is comprised of approximately 4,600 postcards depicting scenes from around the state from 1892 through the 1940s. It focuses on the theme of Mississippiana, featuring scenes of small towns, mineral springs, agricultural and forestry activities, and railroads. It can be viewed in its entirety in the Digital Archives, along with other collections that have been scanned and made available online.
Source: Michael B. Ballard, Civil War Mississippi: A Guide (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2000), 11-34.