The Coker House, near Edwards (Hinds County), was restored by MDAH in 2008-09. These images show the structure prior to restoration and the final result after completion of the project. Located on the Champion Hill Civil War battlefield, the Coker House sustained fire from Federal and Confederate artillery and served as a field hospital during the battle on May 16, 1863.
The house was built in 1852 by the Coker family in the vernacular Greek Revival style popular at the time. The restoration incorporated as many of the original materials as possible, however as you can see from these images, the house was extremely deteriorated and many parts of it could not be saved.
New interpretive signs, which will be installed at the site later this year, detail the history of the Coker House and tell the story of the Battle of Champion Hill, placing it within the larger context of the Vicksburg Campaign.
The Coker House is located about 3 miles east of Edwards on Highway 467 in front of the Cal-Maine Foods plant. Visitors are welcome from sunup to sundown. There is no charge. For more information, call 601-446-6502 or email the Historic Properties division.
Interior images coming next…