The Mississippi Department of Archives and History was founded in 1902. A comprehensive historical agency, the department collects, preserves, and provides access to the archival resources of the state, administers museums and historic sites, and oversees statewide programs for historic preservation, government records management, and publications.
MDAH is governed by a nine-member board of trustees. H.T. Holmes has served as department director since 2005. The Administration Division supports the work of the entire department.
The department is headquartered in William F. Winter Archives and History Building. The department’s four divisions are responsible for the agency’s sites and programs. The Archives and Records Services Division is located in the Winter Building and oversees the state archives and public reading rooms, where documents, photographs, and other items from the collection are processed and made available free of charge to the public.
The Records Management section of the Archives and Records Services Division assists helps state agencies, counties, municipalities, school districts, libraries, and other local government entities manage the official records created by each group.
The Historic Preservation Division is located in the Charlotte Capers Archives and History Building. The division works with individuals and local governments across the state and provides grants, tax incentives, and technical assistance from on-staff architectural historians and archaeologists for preservation projects. Among the programs it oversees are the State Historical Marker, Mississippi Landmark, and National Register of Historic Places.
The Museum Division oversees the Eudora Welty House, Manship House Museum, and Old Capitol Museum in Jackson; the Grand Village of the Natchez Indians in Natchez; Historic Jefferson College in Washington, Windsor Ruins near Port Gibson, and Winterville Mounds in Greenville. The division is also planning the Museum of Mississippi History and Mississippi Civil Rights Museum.