On this day in 1812, Charles Henry Manship was born in Talbot county, Maryland. The eldest son of Noah and Rebecca Sangston Millington Manship, Charles Henry grew up in a blended household with older half siblings. After the death of his father Noah, the family moved to Baltimore, where Charles Henry was apprenticed to learn the trade of ornamental chair painting. In November, 1835, Manship boarded a ship to New Orleans and worked his way up the river until reaching Jackson in February, 1836. Manship soon found work as a skilled craftsman on the statehouse, state penitentiary, and governor’s mansion. In 1838, Charles Henry and Adaline Daley were married. The couple had fifteen children, ten of whom survived to adulthood. Manship was active in the community, and served in public office for over fifty years. Late in life, Charles Henry Manship recorded some of the significant events of his long life in hand written accounts for each of his children.
The new Manship garden is off to a great start. The first planting contains flowers and vegetables that were popular in the nineteenth century. We know from family recollections that the Manship family had a vegetable garden north of the Manship House, on what is now the Baptist Hospital parking lot.
Mary Belmont Phelps Manship (1862-1898) was born in Huntsville, Alabama and educated at Whitworth College in Brookhaven, Mississippi. In 1881, Belmont and Luther Manship were married in Magnolia, Mississippi. Luther Manship, the ninth of fifteen children of Charles Henry and Adaline Manship, was a prominent lecturer who served as Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi from 1908 to 1912. Both Luther and Belmont Manship were concerned for the welfare of the Civil War veterans, and Belmont Manship was an instrumental force in the construction of a monument to honor Mississippi’s Confederate dead.
On June 16, 1886, Belmont Manship and several other concerned women met in the Senate Chamber at the Old Capitol and organized the Confederate Monument Association of Mississippi. Their mission was to raise funds for a monument honoring the Confederate dead of Mississippi, to be located on the south Capitol Green, an area that is now the front lawn of the Charlotte Capers Archives and History Building. The first funds for the monument resulted from a concert organized by Mr. and Mrs. Luther Manship that featured a variety of songs and recitations performed by local talent. For several more years, the ladies of the Confederate Monument Association continued their struggle to raise funds, and in 1888 the legislature passed a bill appropriating $10,000 to complete the monument.
The birthday of Jefferson Davis, June 3, 1891, was chosen as the date for the official dedication of the Monument. A parade of Civil War veterans, the Mississippi National Guard, officers of the Ladies’ Monument Association, members of the family of the late Jefferson Davis, and other dignitaries, processed from the City Hall to witness the unveiling by Jefferson Davis Hayes, grandson of Jefferson Davis. It was estimated that twenty thousand people from fourteen states witnessed the unveiling of the Confederate Monument.
Luther and Belmont Manship had six children; Charles Phelps, Luther, Belmont, Douglas James, William Lewis, and Elizabeth Theresa Manship. Belmont Manship died in 1898 at age 36.
John Ray Skates, Mississippi’s Old Capitol: Biography of a Building (Jackson: Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 1990).
The Daily Clarion-Ledger, June 3, 1891, Jackson, Mississippi.
This handwritten recipe was found in Kate Manship’s cookbook, Common Sense in the Household: A Manual of Practical Housewifery, published in 1872:
A Good Ginger Cake
without butter, sugar, or eggs – Two coffee cups of syrup. Put in your mixing bowl. Stir in sifted flour until you can stir in no more (it should be stiff enough to crumble) Add two large kitchen spoonfuls of lard melted. Add ginger and spice to taste. Last stir in gradually 1 1/2 cups of Boiling Water in which is dissolved four teaspoonfuls of cooking soda. Bake slowly for about until quite done but not dry About one pound of raisins in above quantity makes a very nice cake -
Mr. Chas. H. Manship, one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of Jackson, died at his home on Fortification street last Friday about 6′oclock.
For the past year or two Mr. Manship had been quite feeble and realized that he was near the end of his earthly pilgrimage. But death had no terrors for him; he expressed himself as ready to obey at any time the summons of the Master he had served so long and faithfully, so that his family and friends do not doubt he is asleep in Jesus. Though the end was expected and every one prepared for the announcement, the news that “Mr. Manship is dead” brought sorrow to many homes in Jackson and elsewhere.
Mr. Manship’s voyage over the dark river was sudden and painless. He was walking up and down his gallery with his wife when he said to her, “I do not feel very well and will sit down.” He sat down in an easy chair and at that moment his spirit took flight – he was dead.
Mr. Manship is a part of the history of Jackson, in fact the record could not be complete without him. When, in 1835, before the era of railroads, he walked from Vicksburg to Jackson, he found a little village of but a few hundred inhabitants. With them he pitched his fortunes and has seen a proud city grow up around him.
He had seen the old stage coach give way to the locomotive and palace cars; he had seen the telegraph and telephone lines built; he had seen the electric lights take the place of tallow dips; he had seen the waters of the Pearl River turned through our streets and houses; he had seen magnificent educational structures supercede the old log school house; he had seen palatial residences built where once stood squalid cabins; he had seen handsome brick stores erected on sites once occupied by low and dingy groggeries; he had seen forests felled to make room for growing grain and cotton; he had seen thousands of other changes of a scientific and material nature; he had experienced the horrors of war and terrors of pestilence; he had filled positions of honor and of trust and in all things was found equal to the occasion and the emergency, and now that he has been called to his reward it can truly be said, “well done thou good and faithful servant.”
Mr. Manship was born in the eastern part of Maryland in 1812, and was therefore in his 83rd year – four score and three.
In 1835 he landed at Vicksburg, en-route to Jackson, and being unable to procure a horse or other conveyance for love or money, he made the trip on foot, and for sixty years has been foremost in all things looking to the advancement and welfare of the home of his adoption.
A few years after his arrival in Jackson he was happily married to Miss Adaline Daley, who with ten of fifteen children they were blessed, survives him, as do also a large number of grandchildren.
In the latter part of the thirties and for several years Mr. Manship was clerk of the city, and during that time had charge of the building of the turnpike across the Pearl river bottom. During the early sixties he was mayor and afterwards postmaster of the city. He has served several terms as member of the board of aldermen, and for more than half a century has been a trustee of one or the other of the State’s charitable institutions. When the Lunatic Asylum was first built he was empowered to go to Cincinnati and purchase the fixtures, which he did, in a highly satisfactory way.
The funeral will take place from the First Methodist church this afternoon at 4:30, and will no doubt be largely attended. The services will be conducted by Bishop C. B. Galloway and Dr. A. F. Watkins, assisted by the members of Pearl Lodge No. 23, of which he has long been a well-beloved member. The Fire Department of the city, of which Mr. Manship was really the father, the first company having been organized in his house, will also attend in a body to pay the last tribute to their departed friend and brother.
The honorary pall bearers are Gov. Stone, Gen. Lowry, J. A. Kausler, Judge Wharton, H. Spengler, Sr., Ned Farish, Col. Stewart, Major Barrows, Dr. Peter Fairly, Col. C. E. Hooker, H. H. Hines, Col. W. L. Hemingway.
The active pall bearers are Richard Griffith, Tony Spengler, W. A. Whiting, J. B. Lusk, C. C. Campbell, C. E. Elliot, T. P. Barr, J. H. Morris.
Daily Clarion Ledger, Saturday, June 22, 1895.
Development of a new garden feature is underway at the Manship House Museum. AmeriCorps team Delta 5, MDAH volunteers, and garden specialist Michael Gentry prepared the walkways and beds for an heirloom vegetable garden this past fall. The garden has now been planted with varieties of vegetables and flowers popular in the nineteenth century. This first planting will serve as a test garden to learn what will grow best in the new garden.
Minnie was the second youngest child of Charles Henry and Adaline Manship. Vicksburg (Minnie) Manship was born June 8, 1862, one of two daughters born during the Civil War. In 1884, Minnie married William Lewis Phelps in a morning ceremony held at the Manship House. They had two children, Lee Manship Phelps, and Dudley Gordon Phelps. By 1900, Minnie was widowed, and moved back to the Manship House with her two sons. The 1900 census lists Minnie as a 38 year old widow, occupation dressmaker. Minnie learned Braille, and was employed at the School for the Blind as a Braille teacher. She was widely known for her beaten biscuits and would take orders for them.
Sometimes referred to as “Laddie,” Adaline (Addie) Manship was the oldest surviving daughter. Born February 15, 1849, Addie played the piano, sang in the choir, and played a reed organ at Galloway Methodist Church. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Addie was 12 years old with five younger siblings and two older brothers who were away at war. Years later, Addie recounted the family’s experience during the Civil War. She recalled that Confederate trenches ran along the north side of the house, and toward the northwest there was a three gun battery concealed in cotton bales. General Loring’s troops occupied the trenches about the city to the south. They knew Sherman was coming, and fled to the swamp to safety. After the seige, the family returned home and found Union soldiers attempting to set fire to the house since it had been Confederate headquarters for General John Adams. Mrs. Manship defied them, and the soldiers finally gave up. The 1900 census lists Addie as 49 years old, occupation dress maker. Addie and her sister Kate never married, and lived in the Manship House throughout their lives.
Catherine (Kate) Manship was born December 1, 1850, and died in 1935. She was named for Charles Henry Manship’s sister Catherine Manship Whitby, who was also called “Kate.” Kate played the piano and sang in the choir at Galloway Methodist Church. In 1874, Kate was the only child who traveled to Europe with her parents to visit family friend James Smith. Kate and her older sister Addie never married, and lived in the Manship House throughout their lives. After the deaths of her parents, sisters Addie, Kate and Minnie continued to live in the Manship House, where they were occupied as dressmakers.
AmeriCorps continues to provide assistance at the Manship House Museum. Thanks to the efforts of five AmeriCorps members, the Visitors Center ramp and porches have been painted. The members also created a brick pathway through the new garden area. The pathway was constructed from broken bricks, and will provide improved access to the garden. The work completed by AmeriCorps will help the site prepare for re-opening.