Albert Frederick Daniel was born around 1876 in Beattyville, Kentucky. He attended college in Lebanon, Ohio, and upon graduation returned to Beattyville to teach in the public schools. In 1905 Daniel moved to Jackson, Mississippi, to work at a photography studio. Two years later he married Elizabeth "Lizzie" Marshall and opened the Daniel Studio on Capitol Street. The Daniels had two children, Elizabeth (later Mrs. James Pierce) and Al Fred. Albert Frederick Daniel ran the studio, which grew to include staff photographers, until his death April 25, 1935.
Lizzie Daniel assumed control of the business from 1935 until the close of World War II in 1945, when her son Al Fred returned from service as a military pilot. They co-managed the studio until her retirement, around 1950. At that time, Al Fred Daniel moved the studio to North State Street and renamed it the Daniel Salon of Photography, which he operated until 1953. Lizzie Marshall Daniel died January 29, 1957.
After taking a break from photography to be film manager for Jackson television station WLBT (1953-1959), Secretary-Treasurer for Wilson-Geyer Co., Inc. (1960-1963), and a manufacturer's agent (1964-1966), Al Fred Daniel acquired Standard Photo ("the photographic store of Jackson since 1926," according to the Jackson city directory) and served as its president from 1967 to 1987. His wife, Madge Rosalyn "Dinah" Brown Daniel, also worked at Standard Photo from 1970 to 1987. Al Fred Daniel died December 13, 1996, and was survived by Dinah until November 14, 2004.
The Daniel, Al Fred, Photograph Collection consists of 612 photographic prints, 69 glass negatives, and 486 film negatives comprising 586 unique images of Mississippi from the late 1800s to the 1970s. The photographs were taken by the three Daniel-owned studios: the Daniel Studio, the Daniel Salon of Photography, and Standard Photo, as well as Fairchild, Lowd, Robinson, and Taylor. Duplicate prints were not scanned.
Captions by the photographers appear in quotation marks. Other descriptions were provided by the curator. Images may be accessed through keyword search on the Web site and by subject headings through the MDAH online catalog.
The collection was donated to MDAH by Al Fred Daniel August 12, 1986. The MDAH Archives and Records Services Division's Image and Sound section scanned the photographic prints between 2009 and 2010, creating preservation-quality TIFF images. These were then converted to Zoomify JPEG images by the Electronic Archives section and made available online within the MDAH Electronic Archives Graphic User Interface between 2009 and 2011.