"Penn Street Looking North from Meiggs Street, Corinth, Miss. Aug. 1927, Robert L. Totten Inc. Cons. Engrs. B'ham. Ala. L. E. G." Street scene.
Corinth, Mississippi, was incorporated March 12, 1856, at a junction of the Mobile & Ohio and Memphis & Charleston railroads. For this reason it was occupied by Confederate or Union troops for most of the American Civil War. Corinth was named the county seat of Alcorn County when it was formed in 1870, and by the early twentieth century Corinth was a community thriving on a mixture of agricultural and industrial development.
The twenty black-and-white photographs in this collection were produced ca. 1920 by McCord's Studio in Corinth. The images are of commercial buildings, houses, fire fighting and farm equipment, and general street scenes (the city reportedly paved twenty-five miles of residential streets between 1922 and 1927).
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History acquired one 5"x7" and nineteen 8"x10" photographs from Zelma Katherine McCord, owner of McCord’s Studio, in 1983. Her father, Walter F. McCord, established the studio, the largest in Corinth by the 1920s. The collection was scanned by department staff in 2010, and the images are accessible by keyword search or by clicking on the "Browse Images" link below.