William F. Winter building B2, audiovisual materials unloaded by MVL employee in red shirt under the guidance of Monika Halle, Librarian.
This portion of Series 1395 consists of 115 digital photographs of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History's (MDAH) removal from the Charlotte Capers building to the William F. Winter building. The actual transfer of equipment and collections took place September 12-25, 2003, following months of planning and preparatory work, which included placement of signage in the Winter building in August. The photographs were taken by Clay S. McGehee of Mississippi Van Lines (MVL), the company contracted to conduct the move. McGehee was in charge of the Winter building end of the proceedings and consequently the photographs are primarily of the unloading of the archival collection and books in the Winter building closed stack area with just a few images of collection loading for removal from Capers. The images document the activities of MVL workers wearing red company shirts, under the oversight of MDAH employees. These activities include the opening of sealed moving vans; removal of loaded carts; and placement of books, maps, graphic and audiovisual materials, and other archival collections on shelving in the two basement floors of archival stacks and the public reading rooms. There are also a few images of the furniture and equipment transfer for both the Administration and Archives and Library divisions, which preceded the collection move. The photograph collection includes several images of an upright manuscript box (half Hollinger), which was of particular interest to MVL as it still bore one of the original MVL labels from the 1971 MDAH move into the Capers building. The photographs were created as 24-bit RGB JPEG files with pixel dimensions ranging from 480x640 to 1200x1600 using a Sony CyberShot DSC-75 camera. They are made available here as Zoomify JPEG files. The smaller image files are already displayed at their maximum resolution and may not permit zooming.