Mississippi, A Pictorial History, 1798-1937, Arranged by Mississippi Historical Research, a W.P.A. Project, 1936-1937
"Brandon - Rankin County. Upper Left: Ben Venue … home of Mrs. Daisy McLaurin Stevens - built in 1852 for Edmund Richardson who sold it in 1888 to Anselm Joseph McLaurin who later became governor of Mississippi. Upper Right: McCaskill home was built about 1830, acquired by Lombards just prior to the War Between States; it was used as headquarter by Gen. Sherman. Bought by J. L. McCaskill in 1871, it is still owned by members of that family. Center: Old Weille home, built many years before the War Between States. It was headquarters for Gen. John McPherson; it is now known as E. E. Jackson home."