Mississippi, A Pictorial History, 1798-1937, Arranged by Mississippi Historical Research, a W.P.A. Project, 1936-1937
"Home of Dr. J. R. Watson, Holmes County. Built by the Marlows about 100 years ago (1830-1840) who lived in it until after the War between States. It was acquired by the Watson family who now occupy it. A fine example of early southern American architecture in an appropriate setting of flowers, bowers and spacious lawns."