Mississippi, A Pictorial History, 1798-1937, Arranged by Mississippi Historical Research, a W.P.A. Project, 1936-1937
"Upper Left: Frierson House, Oxford, Lafayette County, built in 1864, now owned by Miss Pattie Frierson, daughter of the pioneer builder. Upper Right: Murray Home, Greene County, Mrs. Ben Murray, one of the county's oldest inhabitants is shown standing beside the center turning gate. The house was built about the time of the civil war. Center left: Avent Oaks built in 1869 near Minter City, Leflore County, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Albert Watkins. For 65 years it was center of activity of the 2000 acre plantation, on which it stood until 1934 when it was destroyed by fire. Lower left: The home of Mr. and Mrs. Wiley Howell near Lucedale, George County. This is a typical primitive home - notice the overhang of the roof to protect the framed clay chimney. The bedspread held by Mrs. Howell was hand loomed in 1836. Lower right: Castiron stair and Porch railing - Sledge Home, Como, Panola Co."