Pictorial History, South Mississippi … WPA Mississippi Historical Research Project, 1936-1937
Top right: "Beautiful 'Beauvoir' on Back Bay, Biloxi, Harrison County, was built and originally owned by Mr. James Brown who came to the coast from Madison County. It was later to become the property of a Mr. Dorsey of St. Joseph, Louisiana, who acquired it for his bride, Mrs. Susan Dorsey. Mr. Jefferson Davis became her guest in 1877 and after being there two years purchased it for himself where he lived for the next ten years until his death. It became successively the property of his daughter Winnie and his wife who finally sold it to the Sons of the Confederate Veterans to whom it now belongs. It is now operated (1937) as a home, for confederate veterans, their wives and widows, by the state government of Mississippi." Center: "The east cottage of Beauvoir, Back Bay Biloxi. This building was used by Mr. Jefferson Davis as his office and here he wrote 'The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government.' It is now kept as a museum that house many interesting relics and personal possessions of Mr. Davis." Bottom: "Cemetery at Beauvoir. Last resting place of the battlers for 'The Lost Cause'." "'On fame's eternal camping-ground Their silent tents are spread And glory guards, with solemn round, The bivouac of the dead.' Theodore O'Hara."