Pictorial History: Mississippi in Architecture, Assembled and Arranged by W.P.A. Historical Research Project
"Center Top: Port Gibson, Claiborne County Court House. The first Court House of this county was built in 1803 and burned in 1839. The present building shown in the photograph was built in 1845 by William D. English and Humphrey M. Posey, at a cost of $12,000. It was remodelled in 1903 to its present proportions at the cost of $22,970, A. J. Bryan & Co., of New Orleans, were the architects. Center Right: Vicksburg, Warren County Court House. The present structure, the cornerstone of which was laid in 1858, was built with slave labor. The brick used were made from Warren County clay also by slave laborers. The building is an imposing structure with a rich historical background. It stood through the siege of Vicksburg, saw the entry of Gen. Grants army; it halls were trodden by the polyglot members of the carpet baggers when they assumed polical control during reconstruction period. Below Right: Courthouse at Batesville, Panola County at the [lef]t is the court house at Sardis, also a county seat of Panola. There are several counties in the State where counties are divided into two districts, Hinds, with seats at Jackson and Raymond; Chickasaw, at Okalona and Houston; Bolivar, at Cleveland and Rosedale; and Jones at Laurel and Ellisville. The two building shown are of relatively modern construction. Sardis court house was built in 1905 to replace the old courthouse (built in 1873 and destroyed by fire 1904). It is architecturally interesting with a solid masonry tower and segmented dome. Batesville courthouse was erected 1880 when that town was selected as the county seat for the Second Court District of Panola County."