Pictorial History: Mississippi in Architecture, Assembled and Arranged by W.P.A. Historical Research Project
Top left: "One of the first. Remains of Eureka School, in Forrest County that harkens back to the olden days when many children rode to school in their own or some neighbor's ox drawn cart to learn their three R's. The date of the building of the log school house is unknown." Top right: "Archer School, Greenville, Washington County, built in 1886 was Greenville's first brick school-house, it was condemned a few years ago and demolished." Center left: "Eureka Consolidated School 7 miles southwest Forrest-Maxie and 5 miles south of Helena. The picture was made in 1920; notice the horse drawn vehicles that were in use at the time." Center right: "Aberdeene Grammar School, Monroe County was built in 1890 a substantial structure of the type that was put up in the larger and more prosperous communities at that time." Bottom left: "Rawls Springs Consolidated School, 7 miles northwest of Hattiesburg was built about 1920 with 3 teachers to serve nine grades of a total 65 pupils." Bottom right: "Lake Como Institute, Jasper County. The picture was made in 1894. The group is especially interesting as it shows the costumes in use, 'leg-o-mutton' sleeves for the ladies, long dresses for little girls, while gentlemen were resplendent in cut-away coats and collars were 'gates ajar'."