Pictorial History: Mississippi in Architecture, Assembled and Arranged by W.P.A. Historical Research Project
Top left: "Above: the old Magnolia Hotel at Biloxi, was erected in 1845. Its timbers are hand hewn and pegged - the front portion of the building, as was a custom in Creole structures, has plastered outside walls, protected by wide 'galleries', while the rear portion as well as the half (upper) third story of the front is weather-boarded. Formerly a very popular inn and coast resort." Top right: "The Bowman Hotel, at Jackson, was built about 1848 on the site of the Eagle Hotel, which was destroyed by fire. It enjoyed great prestige in it day as it was the 'stopping place' of many notables who visited Mississippi's capital during those years before the War Between States. It was burned in 1863." Center left: "Left - the Old Tavern, at Ripley Tippah County, was a log structure built by Rev. C. P. Miller in 1836; the front - 2 storied - was added in 1850. The logs were boarded over at a later date. The Millers sold the property in 1853 from which time it operated as a hostelry until it was razed to make way for a modern hotel in 1926." Center right: "Above - The building now housing the offices of the Tennessee Valley Authority, at Iuka, Tishomingo County, was originally erected as a hotel by a Southern Co-operative Hotel Co. in 1872. It has been successively used as a hotel, school, apartment house and as an office building." Bottom: "The buildings shown to the right and left are typical modern hotel structures and are located Jackson, Mississippi, they represent all of the most modern conveniences to the 1938 traveller, for, as the stage coach has been supplanted with today's air conditioned railway trains, the motor-bus and the airplane, so has the great hotel, with its many hundreds of rooms, supplanted the romantic inn or tavern of yesteryear."