Pictorial History: Mississippi in Architecture, Assembled and Arranged by W.P.A. Historical Research Project
Top left: "Stanton Hall, was built in 1851; it is one of the most beautiful and well preserved homes in Natchez of its period. The verandah and gallery are fenced with a decorative cast-iron balustrade. The great supporting columns are composite, Doric columns, Corinthic-Egyptian capitals with a distinctly Roman entablature. The building (1938) is headquarters for the Pilgrimage Garden Club a publicizing organization." Top right: "'Longwood' a great pile, built or rather, construction was started before the war between states; adversities came and only the ground floor was completed. It was designed by Sloan, a noted Philadelphia architect who came to Mississippi bringing with him a group of skilled mechanics to do the work. Bricks were made with slave labor, supplied by the owner, Dr. Haller Nutt, and the hand dressed timbers were of seasoned cypress. Notable is the great onion-dome showing the architectural tendency toward Mohammedan design, for it might easily have been patterned after the famous Taj Mahal. After having spent $100,000 Dr. Nutt died, leaving his wife with a large family so that orders, that had been placed for material, were cancelled; no further work was done on the project after 1864." Center left: "Lansdowne, home of G. Marshall and J. Ward, in Natchez, was built in 1852. It is a single story frame building of Doric architecture. It, including the interior furnishing, has been preserved in the state, in which it originally was. The passing years have been kind as the appearance of the building shows." Bottom left: "'Homewood', at Natchez, was built in 1855 is another of the lavishly built mansions. Its front is Ionic, of purest Greek classical lines. The baloncy, as well as the side verandah and gallery along with a fence on the roof surrounding a turret penthouse are decorated with ornate cast iron. Door and window lintels are of carved stone." Bottom right: "This fine old country home was built by Col. T. C. Hindman prior to 1852 one mile east of Ripley, Tippah County. The house is architecturally interesting as it of logs boarded over. It was the boyhood home of Confederate General T. C. Hindman. The brick chimney were added as modern touch."