Pictorial History: Mississippi in Architecture, Assembled and Arranged by W.P.A. Historical Research Project
Top left: "Lochinvar, Pontotoc, was built in 1840 and is a true type of prevailing architecture of the period. A frame structure, severe, yet imposing in its studied simplicity - plain columns and entablature accentuate the architect's apparent pride in his efforts. It was the ante-bellum home of Col. James Gordon." Top right: "Isaac Anderson home, above was built between 1841 and 1845 at Ellisville. It is of a type of architecture that was used for one storied homes of the 'well-to-do' people. Historically interesting for the fact that it was in this house that Newt Knight, famous guerilla band leader, who operated in this section, during the Civil War, was killed by Amos Deason." Center left: "Known as the Sanders Home, in Monroe County, the building above was erected in 1842 by Peter Herndon, a slave dealer. The laborers were slaves and the lumber hand-drawn. Interesting for its extreme ornamentation which was unusual in this section." Center right: "The McAllister Home, at Aberdeen, Monroe County, was built by Parson Mann in 1842. While there have been some changes to modernizing, such as the addition of the low pillared portico, (Note the two small windows in the wall lighting the second floor) it is a reminder, in its sturdiness, of how enduring log houses could be built." Bottom left: "This sedate one and a half storied home was built in 1845 in Ripley, Tippah County by W. R. Cole, using native virgin pine. During the Civil War in campaigns in North Mississippi used as headquarters by General Van Dorn." Bottom right: "At Vicksburg, Warren County this house was built in 1842-45, by Col. Edwin Gray Cook, son of Forster Cook, who with Newit Vick, surveyed and laid out the town of Vicksburg. After the investment of Vicksburg by Union troops during the War between States it was used as a hospital. Hexagonal brick used in the column were imported from Europe."