Pictorial History: Mississippi in Architecture, Assembled and Arranged by W.P.A. Historical Research Project
Top left: "Above: The Benson (Keys) home at Fulton, Itawamba County was built in 1836. The low ceiling and the short columns of the porch are a departure from the accepted architectural types of the time in which it was constructed." Top right: "Above: The Herring House at Eddiceton, Franklin County was built 1832. It is a two story building of hand hewn log pegged together covered with surfaced lumber; two storied log houses of this type were uncommon." Center: "Above: The Orr Home, in Fulton, Itawamba County, was built in 1836 for Capt. Beldridge it is notable for the spire which is unusual; it lends a church-like appearance to the building." Bottom left: "William Wheat built this frame house in 1828 in Pearl River County, later it became the home of 'Red Head' Joe Stewart note the massive hand hewed stringer sitting on the log pillars and the extra-dimension floor joists; primative, but in a beautiful setting of 'gray beard' moss, is still good for many more years." Bottom right: "Below: The house shown below had passed the century mark in 1936. Noteworthy are close fitted hewn logs and solid-shuttered windows with the hand-wrought hinges. The chimneys and the lean-to are of more modern times. Thomas Sullivan, built this at Mize (Sullivan's Hollow) and here sired 22 children."