Pictorial History: Mississippi in Architecture, Assembled and Arranged by W.P.A. Historical Research Project
Top left: "Above: Two miles west of Hamburg is the oldest house in this section of Franklin County. This sturdy old pioneer home was built in 1800, on a Spanish Land Grant. The builder with an idea of permanency in mind, adopted the method, not generally used, of pinning the wall logs together. Notice the old hand-made chair on the porch." Top right: "Above: the old Pinckneyville Post Office, in Wikinson County is over one-hundred years old - note the heavy plank door and the hand-wrought window-shutter hinges. Below: the old Stewart House, near Centerville, Wilkinson County was built 1815, is today one of the finest examples of it's type of architecture within the county." Center left: "Above - the home of Captain Sample, in Wilkinson County was constructed in 1800 a lovely place built on high ground amidst towering oaks with wide spreading branches. - Below - The Oaks, the home of Mrs. W. G. Bias, New Albany, Union County." Bottom right: "Below: Built in 1810 for a Mrs. Sterling and her grandson C. Shaefer, it was operated as a store by them and later housed a bank in 1819. It is now used as a lodge building by the W.O.W."