Four Properties Added to National Register
A bus station, grocery store, antebellum house, and Gulf Coast neighborhood have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. On the recommendation of the Mississippi Historic Preservation Professional Review Board, the Department of the Interior approved the addition of the Greyhound Lines Station in Greenwood, George Street Grocery in Jackson, the George Washington Brett House in Attala County, and the Old Bay St. Louis Historic District in Hancock County.
From 1940 until 2001, the Greyhound Lines Station served as the center of transportation for Greenwood and Leflore County. The station was a daily stop on the Jackson–Memphis route. With its horizontal lines and curved edges, the circa-1939 station is a rare example of Streamline Moderne architecture in the area.
Built in 1909, George Street Grocery, now known as the Ole Tavern on George Street, is located just to the north of the Mississippi Supreme Court building in Jackson. The property was operated as a grocery store through the 1960s. In addition to its commercial importance in the area, George Street Grocery came to be closely associated with the writer Eudora Welty who shopped at the store as a child. Welty’s memories of the grocery served as inspiration for her 1975 essay “The Corner Store.”
The George Washington Brett House, located in north central Attala County, was built in three phases beginning in 1860. After moving from Georgia, George Brett purchased and cleared land in order farm and build. An early settler in the area, Brett soon began constructing the two-story gable roof frame house. A kitchen and dining were added in 1883, and in 1998 the current owners added a log cabin constructed circa-1834.
A wide variety of architectural styles from Queen Anne to Creole cottages to Craftsman bungalows populate the Old Bay St. Louis Historic District, located in Hancock County. The district survived Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and is one of the few intact examples of a small Mississippi coastal community.
The National Register of Historic Places was established by Congress in 1966 to help identify and protect historically significant properties. National Register properties enrich our understanding of local, state, and national history by representing significant events and developments, the contributions of notable people, and important types of buildings and architectural styles. National Register listing can also help preserve these important properties through tax benefits, grant assistance, and protection from demolition or development.
National Register listing does not restrict a private owner's use of the property, unless development of the property involves federal funding, federal rehabilitation tax credits, or participation in some other federal program. There are no requirements for public accessibility, and information about sensitive sites can be restricted from the public.
The Department of Archives and History is the official State Historic Preservation Office in Mississippi and handles all requests for National Register information and assistance. Congress established the National Register of Historic Places in 1966 as a list of federally recognized properties especially worthy of protection and preservation. Mississippi has more than 1,200 National Register properties, including archaeological sites, battlefields, bridges, buildings, cemeteries, forts, houses, and historic districts. For more information call 601-576-6940.
|Site Map||Contact Us|