Museum, Schools Commemorated with Historical Markers
Five new historical markers commemorating a community, a museum, a Methodist campground, and two schools around the state have been approved by the MDAH Board of Trustees. The state historical marker program, administered by MDAH, recognizes significant people, events, and movements across Mississippi.
Named after Confederate veteran Captain S.D. Sessums, the Sessums community in Oktibbeha County grew around a spur line of the Mobile and Ohio Railroad after the Civil War. In 1884 a horse racing track and grandstand was built, drawing attention to the town. The marker is sponsored by Andrew Rogers, Boy Scout Troop 14.
The Taylorsville’s first newspaper, The Signal, began publication in 1901 in the Taylorsville Signal Building in Smith County. Now known as the Watkins Museum, the building was given to the town in 1968 to serve as the town’s history museum and meeting place. The marker is sponsored by Rosalyn Glenn.
Established in 1883, the Palmers Creek Camp Ground in Harrison County served as a meeting area for Methodists. The camp is among the oldest surviving Methodist camp meetings in the southeast. The marker is sponsored by the Harrison County Board of Supervisors and the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources.
Originally located in the northeast corner of Jackson County, the Roberts Schoolhouse was founded by Richard Roberts to educate his children and those of neighboring families. After closing in 1922 the one-room school house was eventually moved to its current location on the main campus of the University of Southern Mississippi. The marker is sponsored by USM’s College of Education and Psychology.
The Ruckersville Colored School in Tippah opened circa 1940 and served the Ruckersville community until the late 1960s when it was consolidated with nearby schools. Today the school is one of only two surviving rural African American schools in Tippah County. The marker is sponsored by the Ruckersville T.C.D.C.
Sponsoring groups work with the department to create the text for each marker, which will be fabricated and installed at the expense of the requesting group. Anyone may sponsor a marker. To qualify, a site must have unique historical significance to the local community, the state, or the nation. Events featured on the markers should have occurred at least fifty years ago. Each marker's subject and content must be approved by the MDAH Board of Trustees, which meets quarterly every year.
More than eight hundred markers can be found near buildings, battlefields, cemeteries, churches, temples, forts, and abandoned towns. For more information about sponsoring a marker, or to report a damaged or missing marker, contact William Thompson by email or at 601-576-6946.
|Site Map||Contact Us|