The Mississippi Civil Rights Museum (MCRM) and Museum of Mississippi History (MMH) will be constructed at the same time, and the two buildings will be connected, allowing cost savings through shared collection storage areas, artifact conservation labs, classroom and auditorium space, parking garage, store, and other features.
The architect consortium of ECD (see below) was selected to design the Museum of Mississippi History in 1998, therefore when the MCRM was funded by the 2011 legislature, ECD began working on both museums. However project staff believed that it was important to hire a minority architect firm to design the MCRM.
The Freelon Group is a nationally recognized architecture firm headquartered in Durham, North Carolina. The firm was selected for its extensive experience in designing museums and cultural institutions, specifically those that focus on African American history. Museum projects of the Freelon Group include:
- Harvey B. Gantt Center for African American Arts and Culture (Charlotte, North Carolina)
- International Civil Rights Center and Museum (Greensboro, North Carolina)
- Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History (Augusta, Georgia)
- Museum of the African Diaspora (San Francisco, California)
- National Center for Civil and Human Rights (Atlanta, Georgia)
- Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture (Baltimore, Maryland)
- Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture (Washington, D. C.)
ECD will oversee the design and construction of the two museums and museum complex. This consortium of Mississippi-based architecture firms Eley Guild Hardy Associates; Cooke Douglas Farr Lemons, Ltd. Architects and Engineers; and Dale and Associates Architects was selected to design the Museum of Mississippi History in 1998. Work has continued on that project since then, but funding for construction of the new state history museum was not forthcoming until 2011. Architectural designs of the MMH are being revised to reflect the addition of the MCRM and the spaces that will be shared by the two museums. ECD will work with the Freelon Group on the MCRM in addition to the MMH.
Other ECD projects include:
- Alcorn State University Mathematics and Science Building (Alcorn State, Mississippi)
- Community Bank (Indianola, Mississippi)
- Jackson State University School of Business (Jackson, Mississippi)
- McCoy Federal Building Modernization (Jackson, Mississippi)
- Mississippi Coast Coliseum Convention Center (Biloxi, Mississippi)
- Mississippi Supreme Court (Jackson, Mississippi)
- Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium Renovations (Jackson, Mississippi)
- Mississippi Valley State University Multi-Purpose Activity Center (Itta Bena, Mississippi)
- University of Mississippi Thad Cochran Center (Oxford, Mississippi)
- Walter Anderson Museum of Art (Ocean Springs, Mississippi)